- Would you have betrayed Julia while being tortured and starved like Winston was? Why or why not?
- Would you be able to reject the Party’s ideas even after realizing that you can do nothing to stop them? Or would you give in like Winston?
- "All happenings are in the mind. Whatever happens in all minds truly happens.” Do you believe this is true? Why or why not?
- Do you think it is possible for a society to become something like 1984? Would the people let it happen?
- What is the importance of Crimestop?
- Do you think it is possible to the overthrow the Party? How?
- How could you keep a secret while also hiding it from yourself?
- What would be in your Room 101? Would you give in to it?
- Why was Winston no longer interested in Julia after being in the Ministry of Love?
- Is it human nature to only care about yourself like Winston and Julia admitted to doing?
- What do you think will happen to Winston now?
My group had a great discussion on how they would have reacted being in Winston's situation and whether or not reality is only in the mind. At about 12:45, we set up the large fishbowl discussion group. We talked for about five minutes about whether or not Winston is alive, and if he is, what will happen to him. At the end of the discussion, we passed out the quizzes. A few people complained that the extra credit question was too hard and the numbering was a little bit off, but otherwise the quiz went smoothly. It looks like most of the class did well, so far. And now for everyone's favorite part of the day....
- Post an answer to our blog question
- Grammar 14:13