Thursday, April 10, 2008

Period 2: April 10, Scribe

Today we started, and spent pretty much the entire class listening to songs from the 1984 Soundtrack. All the songs were very bad, very 80’s songs. Several of the songs, which you can see the lyrics to below, actually became hit songs around the US and Europe. Nowadays, they probably wouldn’t have even made it onto a movie soundtrack at all.
Here are some of the songs that I thought were better then all the other ones. It you want to see all of them I put a link to the rest at the bottom of the section thing.

Sex Crime
Sexcrime (nighteen Eighty Four)
Sex sex - crime crime
Can I take this for granted with your eyes over me?
In this place this wintery home
I know there's always someone in.
Sex crime
sex crime - 1984
1984.
And so I face the wall
turn my back against it all.
How I wish I'd been unborn wish I was unliving here.
Sex crime
sex crime - 1984
1984.
I'll pull the bricks down one by one.
Leave a big hole in the wall just where you are looking in.
Sex crime
sex crime - 1984
1984.
This song was the one that I was talking about. When I looked up the lady who sings this song, it said that this song was a hit in US and all over Europe in the 80’s.

For the Love of Big Brother
Like a train passing in the distanceBlack bird in flightI hear you callAnd even though there's no oneDark shadows move across the wallI still hear the echoOf your footsteps on the stairsStill recall the images thatSeem to live out thereFirst you see my fingerprintsLike skeletons of leaves on the wallPeople changing placesI stand for a momentAnd it's goneI still hear the echoOf your footsteps on the stairsStill recall the images thatSeem to live out thereLike a train passing in the distanceBlack bird in flightI hear you callAnd even though there's no oneDark shadows move across the wallI still hear the sound ofConversations from the hallLook to see who's comingBut it's nothingAnd there's no one there at all(No one there at all)

When we heard this song in class Molly described in as "intense". I think that is a pretty good way to describe it too. A lot of the lines in this one are metaphors too.

6. JuliaWhen the leavesTurn from green to brownAnd autumn shadesCome tumbling downTo leave a carpet on the groundWhere we have laidWhen winter leaves her branches bareAnd icy breezes chill the airThe freezing snow lies everywhereMy darlingWill we still be there?JuliaWhen spring rejoicesDown the laneAnd everything is new againWill everything beJust the sameWill we be there?Oh Julia
I thought that this one was kind of creepy. It had a lot of ghostly kind of noises going on in the background. In fact, they made up more of the song then the lyrics did.

7. DoubleplusgoodAttention!Your attention please!A newsflash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front!Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory!I am authorized to say that the action we are now reportingmay well bring the war within measurable distance of its end.Here is the newsflash...plusgooddoubleplusgoodplusgooddoubleplusgooddoubleplusgoodtimes 17.3.84 bb speech malreported africa rectifytimes 19.12.83 forecasts 3 yp 4th quarter 83 misprints verify current issuetimes 14.2.84 miniplenty malquoted chocolate rectifytimes 3.12.83 reporting bb day order doubleplusungood
According to Ms. Smith, this song gets stuck in your head and you can’t get it out for the rest of the year. The tune is pretty catchy and I really hope that isn’t going to happen to me or anybody else in the class. However, I think that I would rather have this song stuck in my head then some of the other ones.
http://arapahoe.littletonpublicschools.com/Portals/7/Language%20Arts/Smith/1984%20Song%20Lyrics.doc

After we listened to all of the songs we split up into groups by the song we liked most. In the groups we had to combine all of our notes on the song and then print out a copy for Ms. Smith to keep.

Homework:

Tonight we have to do the chapter review for the grammer packet that we are on right now. Its going to get turned in tomorrow so it better be done.

We also have to read 117-147 in 1984 for group thats leading tomorrow.

No comments: