Thursday, December 20, 2007
Monday, December 17, 2007
Saturday, December 15, 2007
SPARK• THE LIGHT BULB MOMENT. • THE ORIGINAL IDEA WHEN IT FIRST STARTS THEIR THINKING.• OCCURS RIGHT AFTER THE DOUBTING MOMENT.• THE BOOK IS A SPARK FOR THE READER.• THE DOMINOE AFFECT OF SPARKS.• ALTHOUGH THE ORIGINAL SPARK MAY NOT APPEAR AS BIG, IT SPARKS THE FIRE OF OTHER SPARKS THAT EVERYBODY SEES.• MACBETHo LADY MACBETHo THE DAGGERo THE WITCHES/PROPHESY• LORD OF THE FLIESo THE FIREo THE PIGSo BREAKING OFFo THE BEAST• THE CHOSENo THE BASEBALL IN THE EYEo DAVID MAKING RUEVEN LISTENo SILENCEo FREUD• FAHRENHEIGHT 451o CLARISSEo FABERo LADY IN THE HOUSEo FIREMANo BEATTYo MILDRED AND SICKNESS
· Lady Macbeth - "Great Glamis, worthy Cawdor, Greater than both, by the all-hail hereafter, thy letters have transported me beyond this ignorant present, and I feel now the future in the instant" - Lady Macbeth to Macbeth (Shakespeare, 34)
· Witches Prophecy – “All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Glamis!...All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor!... All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!” Witches to Macbeth (Shakespeare, 14)
· Dagger – “Is this a dagger I see before me, the handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee. I have not thee, and yet I see thee still.” – Macbeth to himself/imaginary dagger (Shakespeare, 50)
· The Fire – “Jack knelt too and blew gently, so that the smoke drifted away, thickening, and a tiny flame appeared…The flame flapped higher and the boys broke into a cheer” Description of first fire (Golding, 41)
· The Pig – “’Rescue? Yes, of course! All the same, I’d like to catch a pig first—‘ He snatched up his spear and dashed it into the ground. The opaque, mad look came into his eyes again” Jack (Golding, 53)
· The Beast – “’He says the beast came in the dark’” Littleuns/Piggy (Golding, 36)
· Breaking Off – “’We’ll make sure later, but I think it’s uninhabited.’” Ralph (Golding, 30)
· CANDLES! –“’Like candles. Candle bushes. Candle buds.’” (Golding, 30)
· Clarisse – “’Do you mind if I walk back with you? I’m Clarisse McClellan.’” (Bradbury, 6)
· Beatty – “Beatty stood there looking at him steadily with his eyes, while his mouth opened and began to laugh, very softly” (Bradbury, 28)
· Woman in house – “The woman on the porch reached out with contempt to them all and struck the kitchen match against the railing” (Bradbury, 40)
· Mildred’s illness – “The woman on the bed was no more than a hard stratum of marble they had reached. Go on, anyway, shove the bore down, slush up the emptiness, if such a thing could be brought out in the throb of the suction snake” (Bradbury, 14)
· Firemen – “there was no longer need of firemen for the old purposed. They were given the new job, as custodians of our peace of mind, the focus of out understandable and rightful dread of being inferior: official censors, judges, and executors. That’s you, Montag, and that’s me” (Bradbury, 58-59)
· Faber – “Yes, of course, again he found himself thinking of the green park a year ago. The thought had been with him many times recently but now he remembered how it was that day in the city park when he had seen that old man in the black suit hide something, quickly, in his coat” (Bradbury, 74)
· Baseball in eye – “I was still a little off balance from the pitch, but I managed to bring my glove up in front of my face just as he hit the ball. I saw it coming at me, and there was nothing I could do. It hit the finger section of my glove, deflected off, smashed into the upper rim of the left lens of my glasses, glanced off my forehead, and knocked me down.” (Potok, 29)
· David encouraging Reuven to be friends –“’ You did a foolish thing, Reuven,’ he told me sternly.’ You remember what the Talmud says. If a person comes to apologize for having hurt you, you must listen and forgive him.’” – (Potok, 63)
· Just because it’s cool – “the accident with the baseball has bound him to you” (Potok, 110)
· “’I thought you said your father never talks to you.’ ‘he doesn’t.’” (Potok, 116)
· Freud – “That’s what psychoanalysis is all about. I haven’t read too much about it yet, but it’s a long process. You’ve heard about Freud. He started psychoanalysis. I’m teaching myself German, so I can read him in the original.”
Friday, December 14, 2007
Fuel, Spark, Accomplice, Plan, Action
Here is the FUEL outline:
Want for Power
Lord of the Flies
Power over himself (to think)
Change of thinking
Control over his future
The capacity of his mind (Danny)
Here is the PLAN outline:
He does not want to wait and see what his fate will be, he would rather change ità to do this he must create a plan of action
Macbeth’s plan is to kill the king
He is doing this to gain power
Macbeth is not the only one with a plan; the Witches had a plan to tempt him into doing this. They tried to show him his fate to see how he would challenge it. In doing this they accomplished their goal, to create chaos.
Macduff and Malcom had a plan to create an uprising against Macbeth, this was for the own good of the people.
“Is this a dagger which I see before me, the handle towards my hand? Come, let me clutch thee…” (Act 2.1. 42-43)
“I go, and it is done. The bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell that summons thee to heaven or to hell.” (Act 2.1. 71-73)
“All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Glamis… All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor… All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be King hereafter!” (Act 1.2. 52-57)
“I conjure you by that which you profess—Howe'er you come to know it—answer me. Though you untie the winds and let them fight…Even till destruction sicken, answer me to what I ask you.” (Act 4.1. 51-62)
“The time approaches that will with due decision make us know what we shall say we have and what we owe. Thoughts speculative their unsure hopes relate, but certain issue strokes must arbitrate. Towards which, advance the war.” (Act 5.4. 16-21)
Fahrenheit 451- Montag had a plan to challenge the government in his society. The first part of his plan was to read and understand books. In order to do this he had to steal books. The second part of his plan was to plant books in all of the firefighters homes so that the government looked corrupt and then a new government had to be formed.
Beatty had a plan to die. His life was unsatisfactory and he was having an internal struggle. His plan was to get Montag to kill him so that he didn’t have to do it himself.
The government had a plan to make sure that no one had to think. Without books, time, and feelings, there is no time to think. If no one can think, then there are no thoughts of rebellion. They carried out by replacing time with constant television and noise.
“But let me tell you my plan-
“If you insist on telling me, I must ask you to leave.”
“But aren’t you interested?”
“Not if you start talking the sort of talk that could get me burnt for my trouble. The only way I could possibly listen to you would be if the fireman system itself could be burnt. Now, if you suggest that we print extra books and arrange to have them hidden in firemen’s houses all over the country, so that the seeds of suspicion would be sown amongst these arsonists, bravo, I’d say!”
“Plant the books, turn in the alarm, and see the firemen’s houses burn, is that what you mean?”
Faber raised his brows and looked at Montag as if he were seeing a new man. “I was joking.”
“If you thought it would be a plan worth trying, I’d have to take your word it would help.”
LOF-# "'We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.'"
- William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 2
"He says things like Piggy. He isn't a proper chief.'"
- William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 8
# "Which is better--to have laws and agree, or to hunt and kill?"
- William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 11
"Roger advanced... as one wielding a nameless authority."
- William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Chapter 11
Ralph: "This is our island. It’s a good island. Until the grown-ups come to fetch us we’ll have fun."
Ralph, Piggy, Jack had a plan
All the same you need an army, Jack 32
Piggy’s plan was for rescue (fire smoke signal), shelter and some form of govn’t.
Ralph’s plan was to establish a form of organization, him leading, and have some people in charge of shelter, some of food, and some of fire
Jack’s plan was for everyone to hunt and only be concerned about the next few days. He was always hunting and eliminating the competition.
“I said my brother would probably make a fine tzaddik,” Danny said quietly. “It occurred to me recently that if I didn’t take my father’s place I wouldn’t be breaking the dynasty after all. My brother could take over. I had talked myself into believing that of I didn’t take his place I would break the dynasty. I think I had to justify to myself having to become a tzaddik.”
(Potok pg. 201)
In this quote, Danny is talking about his “plan.” His plan that he is talking about is not following in his father’s footsteps and becoming a rabbi. He is thinking that he can let his younger brother take that position and follow his own dreams to become a psychologist. At the end of the book, it tells us that he does go on to follow his dream.
Here is the ACCOMPLICE outline:
Friend -Chosen Aquire a freind quote- "'Reuven, listen to me. The Talmud says that a person should do two things for himself. One is to acquire a teacher. Do you remember the other?' 'Choose a freind'" (74) Had to work together or it wouldn't have challenged the system, their freindship was challenging "'...and I want you to let him be your friend and to let yourself be his freind.'" (110) "'I am happy my Daniel has chosen you as a freind'" (Reb,141) This shows that Reb was the "accomplice" to Danny making him challenge the system David challenging Reuven to challenge the system -Fahrenheit 451 Faber and Clarisse w/o whom he wouldn't have challenged the system Clarisse- "These men have been dead a long time, but I know their words point, one way or another, to Clarisse." (Montag, 72) This showed that Clarisse was the reason why Montag was challenging the system Faber- "'Yes, and look where we're headed. You'll have to travel blind for a while. Here's my arm to hold onto." (Faber, 92) Macbeth 6-9 Lady Macbeth provoked Macbeth's mind to fuel his evil. "Naught had, all's spent, where our desire is got without content. Tis safer to be that which we destroy than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy." (3:2:6-9) "He that's coming must be provided for; and you shall put this night's great business into my dispatch, which shall to all our nights and days to come give solely sovereign sway and masterdom." (1:5:68-73) Lord of the Flies Roger made Jack evil "'The chief and Roger, yes Roger." (Eric, 188) "He met the cheif, or Roger, who carried death in his hands?" (Ralph, 196) "At last he heard a voice-Jack's voice, but hushed. "Are you certain?" The savage adresssed said nothing. Perhaps he made a gesture. Roger spoke. "If you're fooling us-." (192) Piggy helped Ralph become a challenger of Jack by being his good conscience " Nobody knows where we are. Perhaps they knew where we were going to; and perhaps no. But they don't know where we are 'cos we never go there." Piggy "That's what I was going to say," Ralph (35)
Here is the SPARK outline
SEE OOPS! POST FOR THE SPARK OUTLINE IN ITS ENTIRITY
· The split between Jack and Ralph
· Resentment between Ralph and Jack
· Disagreements between the ones who want to work vs. the ones who want to hunt
· Jack stealing Piggy’s glasses, thus giving him the ability to make fire, which officially makes Jack chief
· The signal fire seems an unnecessary chore to Jack and others who just want to hunt
· When the signal fire goes out the animosity between Jack and Ralph increases
· Represents the hope of rescue
· “If Jack was chief he'd have all hunting and no fire. We'd be here till we died.” pg 93
· The Split Between Jack and Ralph
· The difference between hunting and having fun over working for rescue
· Bloodlust in Jack
· Jack's way of coping with Ralph
· Jack's excuse for not working on the fire
· “But you can't even build huts-then you go off hunting and let out the fire-” pg 71
l The war between Jack and Ralph
l The kidnapping of the little kids to be in Jack's tribe
l Jack eventually killing Piggy
l Caused by Jack's humiliation
l He laid the conch with great care in the grass by his feet. The humiliating tears were running from the corner of each eye.
l “I'm not going to play any longer. Not with you.” pg 127
l Causes the boys to act irrationally
l Causes them to kill Simon in blind fear
l “They talk and scream. The littluns. Even some of the others. As if-”
l “As if it wasn't a good island.” pg 52
Here is the ACTION outline:
LOF- Jacks killing frenzy, boat shows up, Piggy dying, Ralph first being elected, fire problems, Jack’s cult, using the talking conch
Macbeth- Macbeth’s murders (King, Banquo, MacDuff’s family) MacDuff killing Macbeth
451- Burning lady, meeting Faber, reading poems, telling Mildred secret, took books, running away, planes bombing, public adverts,
Chosen-reading Freud, hanging out with each other, Rueven’s friendship, breaking social norms, finally tells dad, applying for collages ad taking psych. classes, Rueven frees fly.
Action: Point when the character actually challenges the system and it’s too late to turn back. Last thing you talk about thing they do to challenge the system, simple things, spark fuels first action which fuels the final result. Action is climax.
“Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood! Do him in!” (Golding, p 152,) (by the hunters)
“Jack planned his new face. He made one cheek and one eye socket white, then he rubbed red over the other half of his face and slashed a black bar of charcoal across from right ear to left jaw.” (Golding, p. 63)
“ You let the fire go out”
This repetition made Jack uneasy
“Jack held up the head and jammed the soft throat down on the pointed end of the stick which pierced through the mouth… “This head is for the beast. It is a gift.” (by Jack)
“O Banquo, Banquo, our royal master’s murdered!” (Shakespeare, 67) (by Macduff)
“He [Macbeth] has killed me mother. Run away, I pray you!” (Shakespeare, 135) (by the son of Macduff)
“I go, and it is done. The bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell that summons thee to heaven, or to hell.” (Shakespeare, 51)
“The woman on the porch reached out with contempt to them all and struck the kitchen match against the railing” (Bradbury, p. 40)
(The scene in which the old woman is about to kill herself for her books)
“I’m antisocial they say.” … “Social to me means talking to you about things like this or talking about how strange the world is.” (Bradbury, p. 29) (by Faber)
“Montag’s hand closed like a mouth crushed the book with wild devotion, with an insanity of mindlessness to his chest.”(37, Bradbury) (Description of Montag’s action)
“What does he want to read in German?” he asked me.
“He wants to read Freud.”(Potok, p. 158) (David and Rueven talking about Danny’s reading Freud)
“When will you tell him? Because I will be out of town that day.”
“No,” he said quietly,” I am going to need you around that day.” (p. 201) ( Danny and Rueven)
POST ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE, AND I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER THEM! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
What does it take to challenge the system?
-You need to begin with a clear intro paragraph which includes a strong, clear argumentative thesis statement.
-Use at least 3 points of comparison with at least 2 different examples from the text to support your point.
-Make sure to use at least 3 of the 4 texts we have studied this semester.
-Finally, make sure to end with a strong conclusion paragraph.
-Double space! Proof read! Turn in your best quality work.
-Your essay must be finished and printed out before the end of final time.
Ms. Smith's Tips for Success:
-Take the first 5 minutes to create outline. Can be as simple or complex as you want.
-Just write. Take your time. Don't stop just go.
-Try to get the essay done in the first 55 minutes, so you have plenty of time to proof read and edit your essay.
-Check, check, and double check your essay.
-You can't bring an outline in, but you can think the outline through mentally so you know what you are going to say.
-Start going as soon as you get to class- no need to wait for the bell.
Ms. Smith should be available 1st and 3rd on Tuesday.
By the way, someone from the Mideastern area has agreed to blog with us. fThey are from Qatar. We GoogleEarth-ed the country. Pretty neato sweeto. Stephen thinks it looks pretty barren. Kristina thinks he is the "Sandman" since he lives in the desert.
Kristina watched the blog with Daniel Pink last night and she said that he was a pretty cool kid.
Jordan is posting our outlines of our posters on the blog so all the information should be on Blogger this weekend if you need it. If you have any questions, post them on that blog and they should get answered.
Good luck on your finals everyone :)
Thursday, December 13, 2007
We started off the day by talking about the different people we might blog with about A Whole New Mind and Ms. Smith hopes that we get some guy, who I can't remember his name. I think it sounds like Gregor Mendel the guy from biology who discovered cells. Anyway, she thinks that our class is the only one who can handle all his oppostion to the book A Whole New Mind because HOUR 5 IS THE BEST HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After our discussion, we split up into our groups to help us prepare for our CHALLENGING THE SYSTEM final. We split up into our five groups that represent the five steps to challenge the system... the FUEL, the SPARK, the ACCOMPLICE, the PLAN, and the ACTION and worked on our posters. Tomorrow, we will collaborate all five posters so that we all get A's on our final essay. Until tomorrow when we meet again, but until then keep on learning although the bell has already rang. :)
Aquire a freind quote-
"'Reuven, listen to me. The Talmud says that a person should do two things for
himself. One is to acquire a teacher. Do you remember the other?' 'Choose a
Had to work together or it wouldn't have challenged the system, their freindship
"'...and I want you to let him be your friend and to let yourself be his
"'I am happy my Daniel has chosen you as a freind'" (Reb,141)
This shows that Reb was the "accomplice" to Danny making him challenge the
David challenging Reuven to challenge the system
Faber and Clarisse w/o whom he wouldn't have challenged the system
Clarisse- "These men have been dead a long time, but I know their words point,
one way or another, to Clarisse." (Montag, 72)
This showed that Clarisse was the reason why Montag was challenging the system
Faber- "'Yes, and look where we're headed. You'll have to travel blind for a
while. Here's my arm to hold onto." (Faber, 92)
Lady Macbeth provoked Macbeth's mind to fuel his evil.
"Naught had, all's spent, where our desire is got without content. Tis safer to
be that which we destroy than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy." (3:2:6-9)
"He that's coming must be provided for; and you shall put this night's great
business into my dispatch, which shall to all our nights and days to come give
solely sovereign sway and masterdom." (1:5:68-73)
Lord of the Flies
Roger made Jack evil
"'The chief and Roger, yes Roger." (Eric, 188)
"He met the cheif, or Roger, who carried death in his hands?" (Ralph, 196)
"At last he heard a voice-Jack's voice, but hushed. "Are you certain?" The
savage adresssed said nothing. Perhaps he made a gesture. Roger spoke. "If
you're fooling us-." (192)
Piggy helped Ralph become a challenger of Jack by being his good conscience
" Nobody knows where we are. Perhaps they knew where we were going to; and
perhaps no. But they don't know where we are 'cos we never go there."
Piggy "That's what I was going to say," Ralph (35)
As you all have probably figured out by now, I am at home sick. I am, however, going to try to blog for as long as possible today so that we can communicate and share our group's information. Please post all of your information here so that we can all access it.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
-We assigned a leader to help guide us through this process and we picked our four topics for the final.
The final is an essay on CTS and it is comparisons of CTS throughout the 4 books we have read this semester: F451, Macbeth, LOF, and THE CHOSEN.
- We established our four topics in class today- DESIRE TO CHANGE, NEED OF A SYSTEM TO CHALLENGE A SYSTEM/ TYPE OF SYSTEM, AN ACCOMPLICE OR AN OUTSIDE FORCE, AND SACRIFICES MADE TO CHALLENGE THE SYSTEM.
-FOR THE POSTERS we are going to compare and contrast each topic above amongst the books, we are going to find quotes to help support our reasoning, and establish the main ideas of each in each book
-We are going to have a CREATIVE representation of our thoughts of CTS to help us visually review for our in class essay for the final on Monday, and Tuesday of next week.
Event: EdTechConnect featuring Daniel Pink
Date and Time: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (GMT -05:00,
Duration: 1 hour
Description: Daniel Pink, bestselling author of A WHOLE NEW MIND, will describe how three powerful economic forces are putting a premium on right-brain abilities in the workforce. He'll describe the six artistic, empathic abilities that now matter most -- and discuss how educators are beginning to surface and sharpen those abilities in students.
Here is a full proof method to challenging the system.
1. The very first thing you need to challenge the system is fuel to power your fire. For Macbeth it was ambition, Jack a need for power, Montag a yearning for knowledge, and Danny a lifetime of silence.
2. The next thing you need is a spark. For Macbeth it was a prophecy, Jack a caught pig, Montag a new found friend, and Danny a Freud filled book.
3. Then, an accomplice or two comes in handy. Whether it is Lady Macbeth, Roger, Faber, or Rueven, a support system always helps you through the tough times.
4. At this time a plan needs to be made. For some it was a murder, a carefully placed speech, a rebellion against the government, or a college path not laid out by his father, but what will it be for you?
5. Finally it has to be played out. No matter whom you are actions speech the strongest. Even the best plans in the world don’t matter if they are never put into action.
Today we started our CTS review for the FINAL! We get to have charge of our own learning. Remember this is the last week to et something for Smith for Christmas. We are etting ready to write an essay for our final on Fareinheit 451, LOF, Macbeth and The Chosen. The question was what does it take to Challenge the System??? WE got into big groups and then split up to come up with the best answer. So good luck!!!
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
After discussing homework (to think about the essay), we broke up into two groups, formerly known as the double fish bowl. We then discussed our quotes from The Chosen and the rest of the book. Our group had an interesting discussion on the effects and morality of raising Danny in silence, and we somehow got to discussing about every parent being allowed to raise their child exactly the way they want.
Today in class was the first time Mrs. Smith got an Intergetic "Hello Mrs. Smith" from the whole class, and we didn't have to repeat it.
After saying hello, we circled up and disscussed Book three, and then the book in general.
Here are some selected topics we disscussed:
-Differance between "suffering now-enjoy later" VS try to enjoy and avoid suffering at all costs.
-Will Danny raise his kid in silence?
-Difference between Reb's way to find answers (no talking) VS phsycologists way of finding answers (talk it out)
-Will Danny and Reuven Still Remain freinds after their paths split?
-Importance of eyes
When we were discussing, Molly mentioned that Reuven seemed like a player since he had a date every weekend, which I got a kick out of. What would we do if we didn't have Molly?
THOUGHT TO PONDER:
If this is classic art
And this is modern art
What is the world coming to?
INTERESTING FACT O' THE DAY: Both Pheobe's step-dad and one of Mrs. Smith's parents are phsycologists.
Now For The Sad Part...
The plauge of finals has finally reached English class
That's right, tonight's HW is to create an outline of the big Ideas for challenging the system.
Include ideas from all texts (LOTF, 451, Macbeth, The Chosen) in this web
Monday, December 10, 2007
The class started out as usual, but with a little more enthusiasm than normal because it was friday!, with Ms. Smith saying hello and the class having to repeat it twice because it takes a while to work up all that excitement.
But then Ms. Smith needed to go have a meeting over video computer thingy, and we were all pretty bummed we couldn't join, but as Smith said we wouldn't get anything done, which is probably very true. So we had a sub teacher for most of the class. First, we had to blog a thurough reflection of this semester and tell how our learning has changed this year and how technology has effected it. Hopefully one day our blogs with make a difference and more classes will get to use laptops!! After, we got to spend the period reading "The Chosen" and that put an end to our friday english class. Our only homework is to read chapters 15-17 for Monday and what are you getting Ms. Smith for Christmas?
and to spice things up, I'll tell you all one of my favorite jokes!!
so what do you call a fish with no eyes??
a fshhhhhh!! hahaha
see you all in class!!
Friday, December 7, 2007
After that we talked with Ms. Smith about her trip to The Denver Tech Center and how she felt...*dramatic pause*....inferior to the other teachers there. Apparently, the food there wasn't very good though. We talked a bit about Mr. Booth, the fischbowl, and how so many people in the past thought computers would never be used in schools...haha isn't it ironic?
Next Ms. Smith explained the task for the day which was to post a thoughtful and thorough response to the reality check blog question. Our answers may affect the lives of many students here at AHS because technology in learning is at stake. Ms. Smith and many other teachers want technology to be a larger part in student life and so they and many students (like myself) think there should be way more then just 3 laptop classes....wouldn't it be sweet if our comments actually made a difference in school?
This is clearly not education as usual people!!!
After the explanation we were set free to work and once we finished we were allowed to begin the homework assignment which was to read chapters 15-17 of The Chosen.
Make sure to include specific examples and expand on each other's ideas.
Make sure to include specific examples and expand on each other's ideas.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Come back Ms. Smith!! Good choice of sub today though, he knows what he's talking about. Many people became annoyed by the length of the chapter today. The chapter was about Zionism. During the small group discussion, the class was very gender segregated. We have got to get over our fear of cooties! Well anyways, we thought that Danny is a very anti-social kid, and his dad took away his only friend.
During the discussion we also found that Maddie is OCD. Yay Maddie. Alex really wowed us today.... and what about Cate, she drives really well, she even ran into a tree. Maddison has some craker jacks. Ron from Harry Potter wasnt played by the right person---Maddie disagreed. Nunca, means NEVER!!!! Maddie is plum out of ideas.Though every one is tainting the scribing experience, this is what they wanted me to say.------Maddie likes pananas. Let's get serious.
Symbol of the "eye" became a basis for much conversation. The simple writting of the story was broken into this paragraph about the meaning of man.
Some feel that Reb Saunders will never change his ways. Why is Reb Saunders SO agaisnt Zionism? Cate stated that people need a balance of religion and reality in life. Morgan said, in the large group, that the simple story makes you have to become a part of the story. Dawnielle made a remark about the last line of chapter 13, where Reuven remembers that day they met, and how you must think about the series of events after that. Over all, good day of conversation.
Home Work: Read Chapter 14 and What are You Getting Ms. Smith for Christmas? (or should I say Hannukkah????) :)
The homework was to finish reading Chapter 13 and to make sure you think about what you are going to get Ms. Smith for Christmas
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
And today was a late start day, so naturally the "Hello Ms. Smith" at the beginning of class was a little more enthusiastic because we'd all slept in!
Then Molly and Ms. Smith talked about Chuck (nothing new there!). We were reminded of the question we should be mulling over night and day---"What are you getting Smith for Christmas?" Starbucks card, anyone?
We then had the rest of the class to either read Ch. 13 of The Chosen or read ahead.
And then the bell rang after a 40-minute shortened class and Period 2 English 9 Honors for December 5th was over! :-(
The role that Rueven plays in the relationship between Reb and Danny Saunders
- He acts as a way for Danny and Reb to communicate because they don't talk to each other
- Reb uses Reuven to find out what Danny does with his time in the library
- He acts as a buffer between them
The role of Danny's siblings in the story
- Reb promises his daughter when she is two
- Danny's brother might be able to take Danny's place if he decides not to be a tzaddik
The reason for the quiet relationship between Danny and Reb
- Reb is too busy
- Reb wants Danny to find answers on his own
- He wants Danny to decide what's important to him
The symbolism of the fly in the web passage
- The fly can represent Danny feeling trapped because he has no choice but to become a tzaddik like his father
How Reb's past relationships might be affecting his relationship with his new family
- He doesn't want to get to close
- His family is not more important than his religion
No homework tonight!!!!!
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
- Danny an Reb's relationship
- Danny's feelings about his brother
- How Danny felt trapped
- Whether or not Danny would abandon his inherited job
- Why Reb decided to raise Danny in silence
- How Reb's past affects him now
- Why Danny's sister is significant in the story, and the possibility of Reuven liking her
For homework, Ms. Smith decided to give us a break and our only homework is to think of what we're going to get her for Christmas. Tommorow we have a sub, and we get to read all hour.
Hey period 2!
Our relationship traces were due today!
Today in class we split up into two different groups for the discussion quiz. Smith suggested we talk about book 1 and 2, challenging the system, and our relationship traces and visual comparisons. Some of the topics my group discussed:
-How Reuven is spending every Shabbat with Danny and Reb and how he is getting used to the hasidic faith
- What Reb said about not waiting for the Messiah and how he disagrees with that
-We also compared Reb Saunders and David Malter and their beliefs
- Reb thinks God will fix all their problems and that the jewish people shouldn't act on anything and just wait for the Messiah to come. David thinks that the jewish people need more rabbis and teachers and that they should make their way to Palestine and make it a Jewish "state".
- We also dicussed how Reb would act when Danny tells him that he does not want to become the tzaddik
- If he doesn't become the tzaddik he might lose the relationship with his father
- If he takes up the role of the tzaddik he will have to forget his dreams
-We talked about growing up in silence and if that allows Danny and Reb to get to know each other better and comparing growing up in silence and with talking.
-Danny's study of psychology
-the symbolism of eyes and sickness and also the connection between eyes and silence.-how Danny has change due to his study of Freud
- His ideas and morals are being challenged
- the Talmud says silence is good
- Freud says talking is good
- Contridicting ideas
-How Reb talks to Danny through Reuven
-Danny's sstruggles with health, talking, and balancing his interests
- Jews in Europe were struggling and so were the Jews in America, people didn't do anything when all the Jews were being killed
-how sickness is being spread through the Saunders family-CTS
- problems lead to CTS
- problem in the Chosen, Danny doesn’t want to be the tzaddik
- problem in LOF stranded on the island want to get off get rescued and the other have fun
- how do you leave the system?
- Reuven and Danny are challenging the system
- role of Reb and David when it comes to CTS
- They are in a way challenging Reb
- Reb challenging orthodox system by Reuven be Danny’s friend
Pink Letter, late start tomorrow, and think about the gift you are going to give Smith for Christmas
In the discussion, some things that were talked about were:
- The selfishness of Danny that he might or might not have
- Whether or not Danny would take the position of rabbi after his father
- The growing or shrinking of the relationship of Reuven and Danny
The homework for tonight is just to relax because smith is going to give us a break from all the work we have had to do. (Thank you very much) But our class needs to collaborate with each other and decide what the totally awesome gift we are getting her for Christmas. Tomorrow we will have a sub and we get to use the whole class period to read!!!! Hooray!
Monday, December 3, 2007
Let me start with the homework:
- Tomorrow there is a quiz over book 2, but this will be a discussion quiz. There will be 2 fishbowls going on at the same time, and NO BLOGGING! This is purely discussion! And for all who have read ahead, don't reveal any information past book 2! Tonight we are to think of different comments we would like to say, or different questions we may have had, and we will be graded on what we say and how often, be prepared!
- The RELATIONSHIP TRACE is due tomorrow! For all that still have to finish there project, we need to connect Danny, Reuven, Reb, and David all to each other and state the relationship, the feelings about the relationship, and examples. Then we need to compare 3 aspects of our life together; Ms. Smith said to make them specific people rather than a group. And she doesn't mind how you present the information, as long as it's all there.
- And also, for anyone interested, the pod-casts are online for anyone to hear what our classmates had to say.
Today, the theme seemed to be the old saying, "What am I, chop liver!?" Some how we managed to connect this comment to many aspects of our discussion. We also had the common Emma story, and our discussion over chapters 9-10.
Here are some notes on our discussion:
Remember back to chapter 9 and the part where Reuven is describing so vividly the fly, spider and spider web. There is so much symbolism in these things, we just had to discuss what they may be! Corresponding colors are corresponding ideas) I wish I could be giving you more detail, but I couldn't write fast enough so I hope you can get the idea.
- Fly: Danny(getting caugth up in a web of the beliefs he is meant to follow and what he wants to do with his life), Reuven, Reb, Danny/Reb, David(being caught up in his controversial stories with strong meaning).
- Spider: Reb(focusing on, kind of, betraying Danny), Reb, anything that challenges Reb's beliefs, Reb/Danny, David.
- Spider Web: Reb's ideas, Reb, Reb's beliefs and expectations, Reuven(holding together Danny and Reb's relationship), Davids stories.
- A point was also made on the parallel between Billy and Danny. How they are both exposed to the world and then shut off.
- Also, a spider web is so simple, yet it has such intricate detail, like points of this story, how it has such simple language yet the message goes so much deeper.
Also, this would be important for all to pay attention to, she gave us a hint to our final; How does The Chosen fall under our theme of challenging the system? Not the superficial comparisons, but the deep meanings. Here are some of the comments people made about this question to help jog your brain for the final and the quiz tomorrow.
- Friendship choices: everyone has a black and white mold of who should play with who, or who can be friends with who, but these boys challenge the system with their relationship, both opposing forms of Jew, but thriving together.
- Also, the friendship of Reb and David.
- Reuven and David: Reuven comes breaking the system of Danny and Reb's silence. David breaks the Hasidim system established for Danny by giving him controversial books to read.
- Reb is challenging the common system by developing his own leadership, David seems to be challenging his system with his writings, Danny challenging both systems with his great mind, and this train continues...
- Danny challenging the system by wanting to be a psychologist.
- Reuven didn't pity Billy like most everyone would because of his blindness, instead he saw the real Billy and found him as someone to look up to.
As anyone can see, we had quite the discussion! I hope you are all ready for the quiz tomorrow! And one more thing, we must take out time in out busy lives to remember our wonderful English teacher in this time of giving! Have a great evening!
So, anyways, the homework is to finish book 2, finish the relationship thing (it's due tomorrow) and get parents to email or sign the pink letter.
By the way, I'm not sure if YouTube videos will show up on this, but here's one for Lia, showing that MANCHESTER UNITED IS AMAZINGLY, EXTRAORDINARILY, INCREDEBLY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAM, INCLUDING NEWCASTLE UNITED, IN THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!! Just thought I ought to let the world know :)...
P.S. Congrats to all on the Podcasts and stuff, they sound good... an also the text is in MAN UTD. color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merry Christmas, Happy Channukah, HAve a Kicking Kwanzaa... and everything else!
Friday, November 30, 2007
Here's a really cool picture.
Is it WATER, or is it FIRE?
... we may never know...
Apparently chapters 9 and 10 are short. How quaint. Oh, you have to give the pink sheet back with a signature by email or hand. Hm... Lauren's gone. Sad day. I have a picture of a sumo wrestler on my shirt. VERY COOL.
Now we're reading chapters 9-10 silently. Mac's making weird faces. Almost fish-like. The chalk-board says that to listen to music in this class, you have to have it on a CD. Dawnielle is laughing with Leslie... again. Everybody else is doing what they should. The relationship trace is due December 4... and DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!!!!!
Everybody should should look up polar bear on treadmill on Youtube. It's like third grade humor, but you KNOW WHAT, I think it's pretty darn funny.
The relationship trace that's due on 12-14 is important, and if you plan on doing it by computer, start soon, because those circles are tricky little buggers.... REMEMBER: you need to have one for Danny, Reuven, David, and Reb, as well as one for your own relationships. Take quotes, phrases and pictures from the book and your life into it.
Ever notice how cool the number 5 is? It's so much better than "2".
OH, oh! here's a funny joke:
DANNY: Hi Jake. It's a nice Febuary day isn't it?
JAKE: Actually Danny, it's a nice February day. With an "R".
DANNY: Oh, well aren't you smart.
JAKE: I am.
DANNY: Yeah right.
JAKE: (now yelling) HEY! I'm smart and you know it!
DANNY: OK! Fine! Wow, you sure got mad. Your face is red like a strawbrerry!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was funny Matt, you're hysterical.
I love the snow. It's nice, cold, fluffy and white!!! Snowboarding is frickin' awesome. If you CAN snowboard, then SNOWBOARD!!!!!! (I guess you could ski too...)
I will end with "good bye" in six different languages:
c u l8er.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Today in Mrs. Smith's 2 period honors English 9 class,
We mainly just discussed chapter 7 of "The Chosen." In doing this we got on to a long topic of how religions have been changed and split to become the many religions of today. Just a side note, a class to class connection, this reminds me of evolution because organisms were changed over time and became all the animals of today. Anyway one of the religions we talked about was Scientology and it's history and beliefs. I had never heard of this religion so it was interesting to hear about. I learned that this religion was the religion that Madonna was. I also learned that one of this religions beliefs is that there are aliens controlling everything we do in this world like were there dolls or something. Another subject of our discussion was about Reb and why he went into such depth with his speech about why Jews should read the Torah and about the difference (in mathematics) between different religions. Other than these subject we just answered any questions or comments anybody had about the chapter. Then we were able to read to ourselves for the rest of the period. Then the bell rang and we went to our next class. The End.
p.s. for homework we had to work on our character trace and read chapter 8
Well hello everyone!!!
Today, sadly Ms. Smith was not here :(… but Ms. Moritz was our sub:)!!!! To start of the class period we jumped right into a class discussion about chapter 7 of The Chosen. We began by summarizing the chapter, here are my notes…
Talked about Reuven’s dream-- he dreamed about eyes
Danny and Reuven are “officially” friends
In this chapter there is a “changing moment”
We see Danny’s world and the strength of Danny and Reuven’s friendship
We then moved into briefly talking about the Synagogues
Reuven’s- In the place of where a store was
Danny’s-crowed with men and women
Danny’s family lived above
Curtained off women
Walking to the synagogue was a very vivid scene- can be related to parting of the Red Seas- Reuven is amazed by Danny’s “power”
The two men ask for Danny’s advise-- think about Ms. Smith and Mrs. Moritz coming up to us and asking us to “solve” their problems
Why doesn’t he take advantage to this??
Danny’s personality is in a way confusing- he has a high thinking mind
It almost seems Danny has a guilty concisions
He is an honest person
And of course how could we not talk about Danny and his father!!!
Little brother has a blood disease- very sick
Reb is very confident
He seems to be almost the “Jewish God Father,” as I believe Matt Wood said
When Reb walked in the reader was given almost this “here comes the bride,” type image
When he comes to Reuven- first thing he says is you “are David Malter’s son?”
Reb does not agree with what David Malter writes, however there still seems to be that level of respect with Reb and Malter
Reb is direct and stern
Reuven is nervous around him
Reb gives service about Tohraà life is not complete if you don’t read the Tohra
During the service Reuven notices Danny completely changeà Reb makes a mistake and when Danny picks up on it he starts to relax and grin
When Danny smiles Reuven sees the smile that he saw from Danny when he was on home plate when he wanted to kill him. You can see this issue between Reb and Danny. Reb is like ‘I will make it a hard mistake to find’, and Danny is like ‘oh no I’m going to find the mistake’, it is a competition
It seems with all this competition Reb does not really support and honor his son
Reb knows that Danny must be strong, and he is pushing him to bring that
Then Reb turns focus on Reuven
Reuven explains error- Reb then says ‘good job’- and ‘he, referring to Reuven, is good at mathematics’- and ‘good thing my son has chosen him as his friend’ (connection to the title The Chosen)
Talked about how we feel around parents that are uptight and strict
We can all relate to the way Reuven feels around Reb
Wrapping up our discussion, we finished with the ending of chapter 7…
Danny is going to library and Reuven is just going there to think
When do we every have time to think??!! It would be nice to just have some time to think!!!
Nu- term like son or father
Ms. Moritz read a passage—Reb Saunders has had a horrible, tragic life that has helped him develop his personality
For the last, say five minutes of class we talked about, well we talked just about what ever came to our heads I guess:).
Oh, and don’t forget, Ms. Moritz likes fudge brownies and Ms. Smith would like a holiday gift!!!
The homework is to read chapter 8 and to work on the relationship trace.
Thanks for subbing Ms. Moritz, it was fun to have you!!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
We then turned in our comparasion activity. If you were absent today you probably want to get this turned in tomorrow.
We took a vote and decided to read chapter 7 out loud in a big circle. Mrs. Smith read for a while then everybody read a paragraph. We discussed the power that Danny has as the son of the tzaddik. When Danny and Rueven arrive at the synagog, all of the men crowding around the synagog part to let Danny and Rueven through.
It was a really good day today in english. We got a lot of Chapter 7 read and had some good conversation.
Homework: Finish reading Chapter 7. Keep working on relationship trace. This is due on December 4th.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Make sure you are done reading chapter six of The Chosen.
Relationship trace due next Tuesday (12/4/07)
Watch it tonight at seven on ABC! The final Dancing with the Stars comes on after that. Who are you rooting for- Mel B., Helio, or Marie?
In class, today we got into a ♥circle of love♥,and we discussed Book One of The Chosen. We shared our thoughts and connections about the book. After the discussion, Ms. Smith was kind enough to give us time to read The Chosen or work on the venn diagram and relationship trace.
- Venn Diagram due tomorrow
- Make sure you are done reading chapter six of The Chosen.
- Relationship trace due next Tuesday (12/4/07)
It was a wonderful and productive day in Period Two!